Designed and built in The Bat Shed www.thebatshed.co.uk
Peter Pilavachi (former Minister in Training, 2015 to 2017), now the Reverand Peter Pilavachi is based at:
Gareth Garland (former Minister in Training, 2011 to 2013). The Reverend Gareth Garland was initially based at:
The Garlands left Rickmansworth in August 2017 to relocate to Rwanda, East Africa, to become missional educators. You can follow their journey here:
Broughton Baptist Church History
In the year 1847, two or three young men of the village, having attended churches in Kettering, commenced a Christian Fellowship bible class and prayer meeting in Broughton. As others joined them, services were started in a cottage procured for the purpose in 1848. This soon became too small as the numbers of worshippers increased, and it became necessary to erect a Chapel.
This was built in 1850 at a cost of around £160, a gallery being added in 1853 at an additional cost of £30. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any record of the location of this building. Any clues to it’s whereabouts would be appreciated by present members of the Chapel.
The Chapel that we see today was built in 1868 and known as Broughton Union Chapel. The land that it was built on was purchased from a Mr John Perkins, cordwainer, for the sum of £110 on May 3rd 1868, being a parcel of orchard or garden ground, with six cottages and appurtances.
These were demolished and a Chapel built on the site for “The Worship of God and other philanthropic purposes.”. The trustees involved in the transaction being named as: John David Gotch, John Goosey Draper, James Hawthorne Waddington, John Palmer, William Thompson and James Wykes.
The Chapel building remains much the same today, although the garden at the front,
with it’s distinctive laurel bushes, disappeared during the road-
It was in 1969 that the surplus land next to the Chapel was sold to Kettering Rural District Council for building purposes. The proceeds of the sale being used for refurbishment of the Sunday school room. The roof, which was in a dangerous state, was replaced with a flat roof and indoor toilets and a new kitchen were installed.
Snippets from the Archives
In 1907 the Chapel pastor was the Rev. H. Plumbridge. There was a large congregation
with a string band, a choir, a ‘Women’s Own’, a ‘Young People’s Own’, an adult school,
a Sunday school, a Temperance Society and a Band of Hope. The annual ‘Band of Hope
Fete’ was the event of the year, with a parade round the village, headed by Broughton
Brass Band, followed by women and children with garlands and banners, a fancy dress
section, ending with a decorated Cycles Parade at the rear. Tea on the Chapel lawn
was followed by a sports event in St. Andrews Rectory grounds -
In 1908, 60 Sunday school scholars (25 boys and 35 girls) were awarded prizes for regular and punctual attendance.
In 1930’s, the Sunday school and young people performed concerts in the old village
hall. These were ‘sell-
January 1941 -
In 1942, it was proposed that a baptistry be built beneath the front pews, as several members had expressed a wish to be baptised by immersion. This was completed by Jessops the builders, at a cost of approximately £40. The pastor, Rev. J. Wills and the late Sam Mills helped with the ‘digging out’.
August 1st 1945 -
In November 1973, it was proposed that the Union Chapel be reconstituted as a Baptist Chapel and a member of the Kettering and District Baptist Fellowship.
The Sunday school room is presently used by a limited number of village organisations, but the strict Baptist rules still apply: no swearing, gambling or alcohol.
|Thoughts from the Chapel|
|Services & Meetings|
|Sermons & Media|
|Sunday School & Creche|
|BMS World Mission|
|Embrace the Middle East|
|Mission Aviation Fellowship|
|Operation Mobilisation (OM)|
|Transform Europe Now (TEN)|
|The Word for the World|